Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Those Kind of Friends...

It's been a long day and I didn't really have fun at school today. You see, somehow I get the feeling that my friends are drifting away from me. I have this friend I'm real tight with, we've known each other since the sixth grade and now we're about to graduate from high school. The thing is, we're on different classes this year so of course we won't be able to talk that much.


I thought that things will be the same for both of us but now, I can't really say I have a close friend anymore. She just happens to be a real K-Pop fan and a lot of girls in her class are fans too, so you know, "Birds of the same feather flock together." She's been hanging out with them lately much to the extent that I go home after school alone.


For the four years we've been friends, we haven't even went shopping together. There's this one time when I invited her to go shopping with me together with a couple of friends, instead she declined my offer and told me that she had made plans with her newly-found friends ahead of time. Of course I was a little hurt, but it couldn't be helped.


Another separate issue regarding the "couple of friends" I mentioned earlier, I decided to hang out with them. We all agreed to meet at a mall after lunch. I proceeded to the mall since my dad was there while the rest of them went to grab lunch at one of   our friends' house. I had already finished my lunch and decided to stroll for a little while as I patiently waited for them.


An hour has gone by, then 30 minutes more, and eventually it was already 2 hours past lunch. I regretted leaving my phone at home, and told myself that maybe something happened so they ended up showing themselves up late. I had all these positive thoughts in my head as I arrived at the gaming arcade, only to find out that my friends were there at the arcade, having a blast as they left me to fend for myself.


One of them noticed me and approached me with a surprised expression as she said, "Oh, you're here!". All of a sudden I felt dumb. Did they forget about the plans we made? Did they not remember I was a part of their gang? I smiled dryly and acted as if nothing happened. "Yeah, I'm still here." I told them. After that they went back to enjoy themselves. They barely noticed me, and I was barely happy.


I soon found out that they watched a movie after they ate lunch at my friends' house, they even changed into casual clothing while I remained wearing our school uniform. One thing I couldn't bear was that they never apologized or at least explain why they were late and such. I went home that day feeling insignificant as my shoulders seemed to be unusually heavy for me to carry.


It was during that day when I realized real friends are such rare treasures to find. As of today I am slowly getting used to going home alone after school, and I also learned not to build expectations about people. I can only hope and pray that when I go to college, I would be able to find the real friends I've been looking for.





  

No comments:

Post a Comment